POST OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR
SINUS LIFT PROCEDURE
You have just undergone a surgical procedure, and, as such, there are certain precautions which
should be observed. If you have any problems or questions, you can reach us at the above numbers.
1. Once you have returned home or to work, place ice on the outside of your face, where the
surgery has been performed, (twenty minutes against your face, twenty minutes away from your face,
etc). Continue this for the first 24 hours after surgery to help prevent swelling.
2. The pain medication you have been given should be taken immediately after surgery. Do not
take medication on an empty stomach. If you do not wish to take the medication you may want to try
plain Tylenol, Advil, Alleve or aspirin provided your medical history allows their use.
3. DO NOT blow your nose until the sutures are removed. If necessary, you may wipe your nose. It
is not unusual to have bleeding from your nose.
4. DO NOT use any type of antihistamine. You may use a decongestant, if necessary.
5. Continue the antibiotic until all the tablets have been taken, even if
everything seems fine.
6. DO NOT rinse for the first 24 hours, as this might cause bleeding, unless you have been
7. DO NOT drink through a straw, as this will dislodge the blood clot and cause bleeding.
8. If any bleeding does occur:
wet a tea bag or cotton gauze with warm water, place it over the area which is
bleeding, apply pressure for 20 minutes.
If there is bleeding from the nose, lie back and apply an ice-bag to the side of the face.
9. DO NOT use mouthwash of any type, as this may irritate the surgical site. Only use the
prescribed antibiotic liquid as directed. REMEMBER, If you have a problem or questions, call the
numbers listed below.
HOME: (203) 869-6234 (Dr. Demascus)