POST OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOLLOWING
Depending on what type of treatment you received, some of these instructions may not apply.
1. Maintaining a nutritious diet will aid healing. Avoid eating on the treated side if possible. Return to
your normal diet 1 to 3 weeks after treatment.
2. Maintain oral hygiene in the areas not covered with the periodontal dressing. If the dressing
should come off within the first two days, please call the office and ask if it needs to be replaced. If it
should come off after that time, return only if you wish to have it replaced.
3. Apply an ice bag to the outside of your face over the treated area. Keeping this on for 20 minutes
then off for 20 minutes will reduce the swelling you may encounter. Remember that cold only helps during
the first 24 hours after surgery and should not be continued during the second day post operatively.
4. If bleeding should occur, moisten a tea bag, cotton gauze pad, or Kleenex tissue and apply with
firm continuous pressure over the dressing for 20 minutes. Do not rinse or remove the dressing.
5. If the doctor prescribes an antibiotic for you to take and you develop diarrhea, it is recommended
that you eat Dannon low fat yogurt with “Acidophilus” to help control this condition. If the diarrhea
persists, stop using the antibiotic and call the office.
6. If you have any questions or problems, feel free to call at the below numbers.
Home: (203) 869-6234 (Dr. Demascus)